Men Achieving Leadership & Excellence (M.A.L.E)
The mission of the M.A.L.E. Program is to provide non-traditional opportunities and traditional opportunities to help males who are enrolled in curriculum programs at Nash Community College to be successful.
To see each of our M.A.L.E. students graduate and/or transfer to a four-year university and to gain successful employment.
Who is eligible for the M.A.L.E Program?
Students who are:
- Enrolled in curriculum classes at Nash Community College
- Enrolled in Nash-Rocky Mount Early College Program and taking college classes
- Having difficulty with classes
- Currently taking fundamental courses
- Striving to achieve success during and after school
- Seeking a brotherhood of friends for support and encouragement working towards graduation
- Wanting help to clear their path to graduation and a successful future
How to enroll:
- Pick-up an application packet from Linda A. Williams located in Building D– Room 4200 or Dr. Keith Smith located in the Business and Industry Center.
- Fill out your packet completely.
- Return your application packet to Linda A. Williams located at Building D – Room 4200 or Dr. Keith Smith located in the Business and Industry Center.
Our Coaching Program
- Is a one-on-one support program that assists students in overcoming obstacles that can interfere with student success.
- Each student is assigned their own personal coach.
- Coaches work with the student, director of M.A.L.E. coaches, instructors, other members of the faculty and staff, and various community resources necessary to aid in student success.
- Students may discuss anything with their coach in strict confidentiality.
- Designed to allow students to participate in various workshops, community service projects, hear public speakers and attend the annual conference
- Create a brotherhood for all the males in the program
- To teach and enhance leadership skills
For more information
Linda A. Williams
D Building, Room 4200
Dr. Keith Smith
Business & Industry Center
Nash Community College receives many requests for speakers throughout the year. In order to serve our community better (service areas include Nash and Edgecombe counties) and to facilitate some of the requests, the College is pleased to present its Speakers’ Bureau.
|Dr. Bill Carver, President||Nash Community College|
|Erica Drake||Health Sciences/Nursing|
|Marbeth Holmes||American Women’s Studies|
|John Winstead||Public Safety|
|Dr. John Peacock||History|
|Annette Richardson||Health Sciences/Nursing|
|Dr. Keith Smith||Male Mentoring/Student Affairs|
|Tina Treish||Health Sciences/Nursing|
|Wil Van der Meulen||Apprenticeship/Tech Pre|
Community Affairs oriented partnerships
- MAPP [Mobilizing for Action through Planning and Partnerships] – A Nash County Health Department partner. MAPP is a community wide strategic planning process for improving public health. It also a method to help communities prioritize public health issues, identify resources for addressing them and take action.
- ROCKY MOUNT JUMP OFF [a community partnership with Rocky Mount Police Department] –The purpose of the Jump Off event is three-fold: to provide a venue to celebrate education, to provide information on resources in the area to help students succeed, and to provide much needed school supplies to area students.
- International Festival [city of Rocky Mount and Martin Luther King Jr. Commission] – This annual event highlights and celebrate the cultural diversity of Rocky Mount.
- Project GRACE [Growing, Reaching, Advocating for Change & Empowerment] – A community partner. Project GRACE is a collaborative partnership working to eliminate health disparities in communities within Edgecombe and Nash counties.
- WORD TABERNACLE CHURCH [faith based community partner]- Word Tabernacle Church plays an integral part in shaping young minds. Through its auxillaries, Word Tabernacle partners with the M.A.L.E. Initiative (NCC mentoring program).
Please contact Dr. Keith Smith, Associate Vice President of Community & Governmental Affairs at 252-451-8264 for request and information.