Nash Community College is an equal opportunity employer.
Instruction and Research Librarian
Organizational Unit: Library
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled; Preference given to qualifying applications already received
Effective Date: August 2019
Type of Position: Full-Time Staff
**MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Master’s degree in Library Science from a regionally accredited institution or an ALA-accredited institution. Experience teaching library instruction and providing reference service. Proficiency searching online library catalogs, databases, and digital collections. Good computer and technology skills. Ability to provide outstanding customer service. Demonstrated organizational, critical thinking and problem solving skills. Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to work independently and with others with a team spirit. Physical ability to do moderate lifting and to push full book carts. Occasional travel is required. Must have a valid driver’s license.
**PREFERRED EXPERIENCE:Library instruction and reference experience in an academic or research library. Knowledge of the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education. Experience developing library instructional videos, online tutorials, and LibGuides. Knowledge of collection development and cataloging standards. Training will be provided for professional development as needed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must be able to hear and speak.
- The employee must be able to stand, sit, walk, reach with arms and hands, use hands to grasp, handle, feel, and operate objects, tools, and controls.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop, and crouch.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and other equipment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 20 pounds.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Responsible for coordinating, delivering, and assessing library instruction for all Nash Community College including Career and College Promise students. Duties include providing reference service, performing library research, developing instructional videos and online tutorials, contributing to collection development, and participating in other public and technical library services. Also participates in career counseling in the campus Advising Center and teaches one college success class each semester.
- Provides outstanding customer service in a professional manner.
- Coordinates, delivers, and assesses library instruction.
- Conducts library tours and orientations.
- Produces library scavenger hunts for game-based learning.
- Creates library instructional videos and online tutorials.
- Provides reference service.
- Engages in library research.
- Develops and maintains LibGuides.
- Compiles and maintains library instruction data for reports.
- Provides public and technical library service, including but not limited to:
- - Registering new library borrowers and issuing library cards.
- - Charging and discharging library materials.
- - Collecting fines and other library fees.
- - Assisting patrons in the location and use of library collections and resources.
- - Assisting patrons with basic computer questions.
- - Assisting in the ordering, processing, and cataloging of library materials.
- - Shelving and shifting library materials.
- - Searching for missing library materials.
- Opens and closes library facility using established procedures.
- Assists with planning library programs and events.
- Administers career readiness assessment (placement) tests.
- Participates in and supports ongoing library assessments and planning.
- Plans academic programs of study with students in the Advising Center.
- Teaches one college success (ACA 122) class per semester.
- Works collaboratively on college committees and projects.
- Contributes to the profession with service on library consortium/association committees.
- Participates in professional development activities provided by the college, the State Library, library associations, and other institutions/organizations.
**The minimum qualifications and experience have both been modified. Applicants who have already applied do not need to re-apply. New applicants must submit a completed Nash Community College application and unofficial transcripts in order to be considered. Applications referencing resumes will not be considered. Completed applications need to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Human Resources, PO Box 7488, Rocky Mount, NC 27804**
Thank you for your interest in employment at Nash Community College. We are committed to providing superior customer service to both current and prospective employees while maintaining a distinct level of professionalism, integrity, and confidentiality.
Nash Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College complies with existing federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination. The College prohibits discrimination against and/or exclusion from participation in any benefits or activities by any person, either on the staff and faculty or in the student body, on the grounds of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, political affiliation, or disability.