Skip to main content
Nashonline Student Portal


Veteran's Affairs

slide_1 (see long description)

Nash Community College (NCC) is confident and proud of the relationship that we are building with the men and women in uniform that bravely serve this country, those who have served and their families.

NCC is dedicated to providing the highest quality comprehensive support to student veterans in an atmosphere of commitment, respect and academic excellence. The College offers training opportunities for veterans, eligible National Guard/Reservists and eligible dependents (spouse and/or children) of 100 percent service-connected disabled or deceased veterans.

For information regarding benefits administered by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, contact one of the following offices:

  • Department of Veterans Affairs - 1.888.442.4551 or
  • Nash County Veterans Service Office - 252-977-3350
  • Nash Community College Veteran Services Officer

Note: Some links on this page leave the NCC Website. These links are not to be considered as being endorsed by Nash Community College.

General Eligibility Requirements

Veterans Affairs students are in the unique position of having to meet requirements as specified by the Department of Veterans Affairs, the North Carolina State Approving Agency (NCSAA), and Nash Community College. Although NCC’s VA Office does not work for the Department of Veterans Affairs or the SAA, it is our job to work closely with them to ensure your needs as students are met. Our office strives to meet the Principles of Excellence set by the President of the United States.

Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress under the same standards as Financial Aid Recipients.

The VA will not pay for enrollment in the following:

  • Course audits
  • Repeated courses previously passed
  • Credit by examination
  • Courses not required in chosen curriculum
  • Continuing education classes (unless specifically approved by the NC State Approving Agency)
  • Dropped or withdrawn classes
  • Remedial courses taken on-line or in a hybrid format
  • Adult High School Diploma (AHSD) / High School Equivalency (HSE) / General Educational Development (GED)
  • Career and College Promise (CCP)
  • Non-degree/diploma/certificate seeking students

Plus (click or tap to expand) + Apply for Educational Benefits

To receive VA educational benefits, students are required to do the following:

Step 1: Complete Application for Benefits

VA regulations governing institution-approved training of veterans and/or dependents of veterans require that certain documents be on file prior to certification of enrollment. To start the application process to use your GI Bill® or to use the GI Bill® of your spouse or parent, you first need to submit an application for benefits.

Information concerning applying for the GI Bill® can be found on the website at If VA benefits have been received for prior training at another institution, the student must submit form 22-1995, Change of Program or Place of Training.

Please check the groups (A or B) below to see what information needs to accompany your request.

Group A: Individuals under the following categories:

  • Ch. 30 - Active Duty/Former Active Duty
  • Ch. 33 Post 09/11 GI Bill
  • Ch. 33 TOE 09/11 GI Bill Transfer of Eligibility
  • Ch. 1606 - Selected Reserve
  • Ch. 1607 - Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP)

Individuals applying for benefits under Group A are encouraged to submit a copy of their DD-214 (Member 4) or National Guard form DD-2384 “NOBE” signed by the Unit Commander and Certificate of Eligibility.

Group B: Individuals under the following category:

  • Ch. 35 - Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program

Individuals applying for benefits under Group B are encouraged to submit a copy of their birth certificate (dependents) or their marriage certificate (spouses) and Certificate of Eligibility.

Step 2: Submit all Official Transcripts

Prior to being certified for benefits, you must submit all official transcripts from your high school/GED equivalency, from any college/universities you’ve attended, and military transcripts to the Admissions Office.

To check to see if your transcript has been received, you may contact the Admissions Office at (252) 451-8300 or by email at

Step 3: Register & Pay for Classes

Once you have registered and paid for classes, please complete the Veteran Services Enrollment Form. You can obtain the form from Student and Enrollment Services or fill out the Veteran Services Enrollment Form online.

For Chapters 33, 33TOE, and 31, please complete the same form for certification. The Veterans Services Officer will make sure that your classes are held until payment is received from the Veterans Affairs. Please make sure that if you are not 100% that you pay your percentage you are responsible for.

Once this information has been received, the Veterans Services Officer will submit your enrollment certification to the Department of Veteran Affairs. It can take anywhere from 60-90 days for VA to process your information and for you to receive your first check.

**Students receiving VA Educational Benefits must submit the Enrollment Verification Form each semester they wish to have their classes certified.

Step 4: Verify Enrollment (For individuals under Ch. 30, Ch. 1606, and Ch. 1607 only)

Prior to receiving your check, you must verify your enrollment at the end of the month on a monthly basis. You should wait until the end of the first month of school to verify your enrollment for the first time.


  • Fall semester - verify for the first time on August 31
  • Spring semester - verify for the first time on January 31
  • Summer - verify for the first time on May 31

You can verify your enrollment by one of the following methods:


Plus (click or tap to expand) + Important Things to Know about Using your GI Bill® at NCC

You are responsible for paying your tuition and fees up front as your enrollment certifications will not be processed by VA until after classes have begun. Unless you have other funds such as financial aid or tuition assistance, we will not be able to hold your schedule or make special arrangements for you. It is your responsibility to make arrangements to cover your tuition, fees, and book each semester.

It can take anywhere from 60-90 days for VA to process your claim for benefits.

If you change your major, you must notify the Veterans Services Officer prior to changing it with the Registrar’s office.

Any change in personal information (address, name, etc.) must be reported to our office if you wish for us to notify VA. You can make the change on the WAVE website as well.

IMPORTANT!! Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in order to continue to receive VA benefits. Click here for additional information on the SAP requirements.

It is your responsibility to notify the VA representative of any changes in your schedule - dropping a class, adding a class, withdrawing from a class(es), etc.

If you withdraw from classes or don’t report changes when verifying your enrollment, you may owe back money to VA. Contact the Veterans Services Officer before making changes to your schedule, or if you have any questions.



Norman Cooper
Assistant Financial Aid/Veteran Services Officer
Norman Cooper
Phone: 252-428-7355
Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Location: 2015