Nash Community College’s College & Career Readiness Program includes the instructional areas of Adult Basic Education, High School Equivalency, and English as a Second Language.
High School Equivalency (HSE ) (formerly known as GED®)
- Program offered at no charge
- Convenient class offerings: morning, afternoon, evening & online (Access available to lab for online classes)
- Work at your own pace, test every 60 hours to determine progress
- Classes are offered at different ability levels
- Classes build to preparation for High School Equivalency Tests
- 5 subject exams: Language Arts, Mathematics, Science & Social Studies
- Earn High School Equivalency credential
Click here for HSE Transcript/Records for HiSet, GED, and TASC.
$53.75 Computer Based
|Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) $54|
|Computer-based test||Computer or paper-based test||Computer or paper-based test|
|Retake the test up to two times for free.||Retake the test up to two times for free.||Retake the test up to two times for free.|
High School Equivalency Diploma
The three nationally-recognized assessments used to obtain a state-issued High School Equivalency credential in North Carolina are GED®, HiSET® and TASC. All three High School Equivalency assessments are recognized by the US Department of Education USDOE GEN-14-16 and cover the same content areas. Passing the complete battery of any one of the assessments will lead to the same High School Equivalency Diploma issued by the North Carolina State Board of Community Colleges.
What do I do next if I am under 18 years of age?
- Obtain an Enrollment Packet for minors (Contains a checklist of items to collect)
- Call or Email the Director of College and Career Readiness to schedule an appointment (Due to the length of the meeting, no drop in appointments are allowed, contact Ivana Stevens 252-451-8215 or email@example.com)
- After your meeting with Ms. Stevens you will be instructed to follow the steps below.
What do I do next if I am over 18 years of age?
- Obtain/bring state issued picture ID
- Take the TABE test on Thursday Afternoon at 5:00 pm or Monday morning at 8:00 am in the Continuing Education and Public Services Building. Room 8242. This test is offered on a first come, first served basis.
- How well you do on the TABE test determines your class placement
- Attend a mandatory “Ready Set Go” Session (You must attend all 4 days.)
- During Ready, Set, Go you will fill out a survey of hours you can attend
- The last day of Ready, Set, Go Your Class Schedule will given to you.
- Start Attending Classes based on your schedule
- You will be tested every 60 hours to check your progress to help you move through the process to graduation.
English as a Second Language
The English as a Second Language program offers instruction to non-native English speaking adults seeking to improve their English language acquisition skills in the areas of speaking, listening, reading, and writing. ESL instruction can help students prepare for employment, advance professionally, prepare for citizenship, and become more involved in neighborhood and community life.
- Program is offered at no charge
- Convenient class offerings: morning and evening
- Improve English speaking, listening, reading & writing skills
Foundational Adult Basic Education (FABE)
The Foundational Adult Basic Education program is designed for students with intellectual disabilities. It serves as an extension of the Occupational Course of Study (OCS) activities in the local public school system and allows students to continue their education and training in career pathways at the community college level. Students receive instruction in academics (math and language arts) as well as coursework in specific career pathways. Through classroom instruction and internships, students are prepared to find work in Hospitality and Food Service, Gardening and Lawn Maintenance, Commercial Cleaning, and Retail Sales. FABE Internship Video
A graduation ceremony is held in May of each year, in which all HSE graduates are eligible to participate. The High School Equivalency diploma is issued by the North Carolina State Board of Community Colleges in Raleigh.
National Career Readiness Certificate
North Carolina’s Career Readiness Certificate (CRC) is designed to meet the needs of both employers and job seekers in this transitioning economy.
For employers, the CRC offers a reliable means of determining whether a potential employee has the necessary literacy, numeracy, and problem solving skills to be “job ready.”
For job seekers, the CRC serves as a portable credential that can be more meaningful to employers than a high school degree or a resume citing experience in a different job setting.
The CRC is based upon WorkKeys®, a nationally recognized skills assessment tool developed by ACT Inc.
Benefits of North Carolina Career Readiness Certification
Since North Carolina began conferring career readiness certifications, employers have said that training time has decreased, recruiting time has decreased and surveys of employees have found that employees are more satisfied.
What are the benefits for an individual?
- CRC increases your chances for employment and promotion.
- CRC focuses on employment-related competencies needed in any career.
- CRC provides training to help you obtain certification.
- CRC is a portable credential recognized by employers.
- CRC builds confidence that skills meet the needs of local employers.
Scheduling For Your Test
- Fill out your CRC Assessment Profile.
- When the form has been verified you will sent an email with a link to register with available dates and times.
Accessing Scores and Printing Your CRC
Register at www.myworkkeys.com or call ACT at 1- 800-967- 5539.
Career Readiness Scores
Pre-registration and prepayment are required. The cost is $42.00 or $14 per assessment.
|Certificate Awarded||Bronze Level 3||Silver Level 4||Gold Level 5||Platinum Level 6|
|Skills Level for Jobs||16% of jobs||67% of jobs
||93% of jobs||99% of jobs|
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ivana Stevens
Director, College & Career Readiness
- Phone: 252-451-8215
- Location: 8133